More specific advance information to be required for the contents of goods items sent outside the EU
In accordance with the international agreement and legislative reform, more specific advance information will be required for the contents of items (letters and parcels) containing goods sent outside the EU. The reform will enter into force in full at the start of 2021. For example, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection has already tightened the checks of international postal items. To ensure a smooth goods shipment delivery chain outside the EU in the future, we would recommend that you provide Posti with the required information already at this stage.
Follow these steps when sending goods outside the EU
Send an EDI message to Posti including the information required by the CN22 or CN23 customs declaration, depending on the value of the item. The document should also be attached on top of the item.
The required information regarding the value of the item:
- The sender's full information and address in the CN23 customs declaration, including the company name
- The recipient's full information and address in the CN23 customs declaration, including the company name
- An accurate description and quantity of the goods in English, e.g., ‘men´s cotton shirt, 2 pcs'
- The weight of each item in kg, for example, the above-mentioned shirts, a total of 0.45 kg
- The value and currency of the goods, e.g., EUR 48.60
- The total weight of the item
The sender must also confirm the information in the customs declaration by dating and signing it or approving the information online.
You can also disclose the following voluntary information regarding the contents of the item:
- Customs tariff number (a minimum of six digits) The tariff number has particular significance in case of items sent for commercial purposes.
- The country of origin of the goods. This information has particular significance in case of items sent for commercial purposes.
- The total value and currency of the item.
Untracked letter items
Untracked letter items containing goods sent outside the EU by contract customers should include the bar code of the CN22 customs declaration used to report the contents of the item. The document should also be attached on top of the item.
Items paid in cash
The content information of goods items paid for in cash by the customer is reported using the CN22 or CN23 customs declaration, if the item is sent outside the EU. In case of parcel items, the required information is submitted electronically either via the online service used to send the item or when sending the item at a Posti service point. In addition, letter items containing goods should include the bar code of a completed CN22 or CN23 customs declaration. The document should also be attached on top of the item.