Nature’s treasures on February’s stamps
The Easter stamp will be published on February 24. Spring's stamps will also feature a joyful carousel theme and beautiful summer flowers and Finnish nature.
Catkins bring a promise of spring
Sending Easter greetings has long traditions, and a postcard with a spring theme is a delight for all recipients. This year, the Easter stamp features a bunch of catkins painted by artist Maarit Ailio. The playfully named Virvon varvon publication was designed by Paula Salviander.
- I especially like painting with watercolors so I chose them as the illustration technique. I also feel that a traditional painting technique suits well a delicate spring stamp, Ailio says.
- Catkins are nature's own treasures. In fact, what could better suit a stamp for the spring's most beautiful celebration than a bunch of catkins.
The Virvon varvon sheet contains fifteen domestic no-value indicator stamps.
Old circus aesthetics in the Carousel stamp
Minna Havas, a versatile illustrator and fabric pattern designer, has drawn a carousel horse for a festive, spring-themed stamp.
- Old circus aesthetics is very fascinating. It was very inspiring to design the Carousel stamp and the ornamental patterns on the horse. The stamp conveys both joy and beauty, Havas says.
Havas was also behind the popular Valentine's Day stamps with faerie motifs in 2010. She has also drawn the tricholoma matsutake for the Edible mushrooms stamps that were published last fall. Havas, who has also run a clothing company, currently makes clothing fabric patterns for Vimma Company.
The Carousel sheet has fifteen domestic no-value indicator stamps.
Summer flowers with an aphorism
Popular postcard artist Anna-Mari West has illustrated the adorable stamp with traditional summer flowers. Her previous work includes the bunny-themed 2016 Easter stamp.
- The bunch has at least daisies, red clovers, bluebells and blueberry twigs. In my opinion, the old, worn wood surface in the picture goes well with nature's colorful flowers. The highlight of this work was the design of the sheet-I even had the chance to add a flower-themed aphorism to it, West says.
The Summer flowers sheet has fifteen domestic no-value indicator stamps. The aphorism is: "Flowers do not solve all of the world's problems, but they are a good start."
Seasons of Finnish nature in international stamps
The Calm and tranquil stamps depict Finnish nature in different seasons and are suitable for international postcards and light letters. The sheet designed by Stiina Hovi contains fifteen international no-value indicator stamps.
Hovi is an experienced graphic designer, whose handiwork is also seen in the supplement Kantri of Maaseudun Tulevaisuus.
- I chose pictures that, in my opinion, beautifully depict an important seasonal element-water-in its different forms. The pictures were taken in different parts of Finland during different seasons, and the photographers have nicely captured the moods of Finnish nature, Hovi says.
Image material for the media
All stamps available for sale are featured in Posti's online shop.
Auf den Briefmarken des Februars Schätze der Natur (PDF)