The carriage by post of substances and items classified as dangerous goods or prohibited by law is forbidden and you will find examples of these items on this page. In addition, there are country-specific restrictions on the contents of mail, which you can check under Country information.
Other bans and restrictions
Due to reasons of safety (content not fit to fly), airlines may restrict the content of items transported by air. In Finland, items can be transported by road when necessary but the promised delivery time cannot be guaranteed.
|e.g. detonators, fuses, fireworks, flares and distress rockets, firearms cartridges, sparklers, explosive streamers|
|e.g. aerosols (hair sprays, deodorants), helium, blowtorches, camping gas, cigarette lighters, fire extinguishers, diving cylinders|
|e.g. acetone, petrol, methanol, spirit, thinner, turpentine, several disinfectants, paints, glues, nail varnish and perfumes|
Flammable solids, self-reactive substances and desensitized explosives
Substances liable to spontaneous combustion
Substances which, in contact with water, emit flammable gas
|e.g. potassium, sodium|
|e.g. hydrogen peroxide (minimum 8%)|
|e.g. cyanide, specific mercury compounds, specific pesticides|
|e.g. samples containing pathogens, certain vaccines (see shipping of laboratory samples)|
|e.g. plutonium, uranium|
Corrosive substances Acids and alkali
|e.g. sulphuric acid, acid batteries, mercury, several strong detergents|
Miscallaneous dangerous substances and articles
|e.g. asbestos, dry ice, devices containing dangerous goods, airbag modules, safety belt pre-tensioners, internal combustion engines fuelled by inflammable gas or liquid, lithium batteries, strong magnets|
The items listed below are either entirely prohibited or there are restrictions on their carriage.
- Money, securities, traveller’s cheques, platinum, gold or silver (wrought or unwrought), gemstones, jewellery and other valuables (only as insured postal items to those countries that permit them).
- Narcotics, e.g. LSD, morphine, cocaine, cannabis products, opium
- Counterfeit and pirated products
- Live or dead animals. (Bees, leeches and silk-worms can be sent. In addition, flies of the family Drosophilidae for biomedical research can be exchanged in international letters between officially recognized institutions.)
- Live plants
- Perishable food items
- Items and substances, the possession or use of which is prohibited by law.
Posti does not transport in its letter and parcel services firearms, ammunition, gas pistols and devices intended for firing gas cartridges or items that are confusingly similar. These items include replicas of guns and explosives, dummy rounds for practice, firearms that have been made inoperable, air guns and airsoft weapons which are replicas of firearms.