Compensation grounds for mail items
The item transporter's liability is restricted by law. Select an appropriate sending method for your delivery contents and pack it carefully. These compensation principles also apply to insured shipments.
The compensation policy varies according to which of the aforementioned regulations is applied to the item. Regarding all transport, the item transporter's (i.e. Posti's) liability is limited. The regulations also define who is entitled to receive compensation.
Posti's limited liability does not have an impact on the liability between the sender and the recipient. In distance sales subject to the Consumer Protection Act, the seller is always responsible for transporting the product.
Damage compensation requires that it can be verified that the damage occurred when Posti was responsible for the shipment. In cases of damage, you should always contact Customer Service as quickly as possible.
Compensation is paid for
- Material damage
- A share of the delivery costs corresponding to the damage
- The expenses caused by preventing the damage and its direct investigation
- the material damage has been directly caused by the delay, damaging or loss of the item and this has been caused while Itella was responsible for the item.
To receive compensation
- The applicant shall notify Itella of the error as soon as possible and seek compensation within the deadlines. (See The terms of delivery)
- It must be possible for an Itella representative to verify the damage. Delay and loss is usually identified based on item tracking.
- The applicant should present evidence on the value of the item's contents. In the case of a new product, the receipt is sufficient. In other cases, the valid value of the item is assessed.
- Usually, the reception, delivery or handover of a regular letter cannot be verified retrospectively in any way in the postal network, and usually such items do not allow for receiving compensation.
The amount of compensation
- Typical material damage compensation includes the item's repair costs or compensation according to the valid value.
- The maximum sum of compensation is the maximum compensation determined by weight in the applicable legislation, even in cases where the damage suffered is more extensive.
- For insured items however, the insured value is the maximum sum of compensation.
- The additional service for fragile items has no impact on the maximum sum of compensation.
- The compensation shall not exceed the verified direct material damage even if the maximum compensation in kilograms or the insurance value is higher than that.
Itella Posti does not pay compensation for
- Damage caused by the item's features (a latent error, natural vulnerability).
- When the item has a particular value related to collecting, memories, antiquity, etc.
- Damage where Itella Posti cannot have affected the outcome and the consequences of which it cannot have prevented.
- Damage caused by the customer violating the terms, such as using an inappropriate delivery method or defective packaging.
- Damage caused by force majeure situations (e.g. a strike).
Maximum compensation for the most frequent products
|1st and 2nd class letter and Maxi letter||50€||50€|
|Registered letter and proof of receipt letter||340€||85€|
|Insured item||insurance value||150€|
|Postal parcel||25€ /kg||150€|
|Parcel to doorstep||20€ /kg||Postage sum|
|Regular letters||Not compensated||Not compensated|
|Registered letter||SDR 30 i.e. approx 35€||
|Postal parcel abroad||SDR 40 + SDR 4.50/kg||Not compensated|
|Express parcel abroad||1,680 €||
For a delay of over 14 days postages