Frequently asked questions
Which services is Posti updating?
The pricing of domestic services and the product and service selection of corporate customers will be simplified and the invoicing clarified. The changes will not apply to consumer customers.
When will the changes take effect?
The changes will be implemented over several stages in the course of 2016. The price changes and some service changes will take place January 1, 2016. Electronic services will undergo changes in early 2016. The rest of the changes will be implemented during the spring of 2016.
Will customers be informed of the changes and, if yes, how and when?
For detailed information on the changes, visit www.posti.fi. Our customers will be sent a bulletin on the main points of the renewed services. The bulletin will be sent in November 2015.
Should customers make preparations in their own systems?
For the most part, no. For customers integrated from their own systems, the changes require system changes. The suppliers of online store modules must also make some changes.
In postal services, the changes are mostly limited to product code changes regarding direct interfaces between the customers and Posti.
We will release more details when we have more specific information.
Will the changes cause expenses to customers?
For the most part, no.
Services and transactions
How do I get access rights for Posti’s service portal? Do I still need my previous customer ID?
After making a contract or an order confirmation, Posti will create access rights for the customer's main user. The main user will create new credentials and distribute user rights forward to the desired individuals. Behind the access rights, the same order channels and other channels will be available as in the current Extranet. Usernames and passwords will remain unchanged.
How can I log in to Posti’s service portal? Will the current Extranet be replaced on the Posti.fi site?
You can log into the services at posti.fi/online-services. If your company already has credentials for Extranet, the usernames and passwords will not be changed.
Can the current Extranet credentials be used as a Posti transaction code?
Extranet credentials = Posti transaction code.
Will the Posti transaction code affect logging into Contact (direct marketing tool)?
No, it will not.
Will the Posti transaction code affect logging into Contact (direct marketing tool)?
In 2015, the login of Kontakti will work as before, with the individual Kontakti credentials. Customers will be informed of any changes.
Should I remember the transaction code by heart when I contact Posti?
You do not need to remember the transaction code itself, but we recommend you remember which e-mail address is linked to the code. If no e-mail address has been linked to your transaction code, you should remember your username. The password of the username is carried out online.
I have previously ordered from another supplier. Can I continue ordering from the same supplier?
Edita Prima Oy will serve as Posti's pre-paid envelope supplier starting on 1 January 2016. Customers will not be able to order pre-paid envelopes from other manufacturers in the future.
I still have envelopes manufactured by another supplier (Bong Suomi Oy, InterMail Oy). Can I still mail them after 1 January 2016?
Yes, you can.
Is it possible to conclude a direct contract with Edita Prima?
Ordering Posti pre-paid envelopes requires a contract with Posti. It is not possible to order pre-paid envelopes directly from Edita without a contract customer relationship with Posti. The Posti pre-paid envelope is an overall service which covers the postage fee of a Priority or an Economy letter. Customers can therefore not separately negotiate with Edita Prima on Posti pre-paid envelope prices, printing or envelopes.
Why are common practices being changed?
The new Posti envelope store includes a simpler, clarified product selection and pricing. In the near future, we will provide an overall pre-paid envelope service which covers the postage fee, envelope and printing. You will not need to order these separately. Customers can also order smaller quantities of envelopes than previously.
How long will I be able to continue ordering pre-paid envelopes from the current envelope store?
You can submit new orders or update existing orders in the current envelope store until 31 December 2015.
Where can I review my old orders?
The old ordering channel will serve as an archive of your old orders until 30 April 2016.
Will letter, maxi letter and address labels still be used in the Posti pre-paid envelope service?
The envelope store offers ready‑to‑mail envelope and package options, which eliminates the need for separate labels. In the future, customers can effortlessly supplement the envelope store selection if and when they need new packaging. The old address labels will remain valid until the end of 2016.
I have submitted a pre-paid envelope model (a ready to print PDF file) to my current supplier. How can I order more pre-paid envelopes using the file?
The customer and manufacturer must agree on any ready‑to‑print PDF files between themselves.
If you are using a ready‑to‑print PDF file, you can use it to submit an order via the new pre-paid envelope store. You can continue to use the PDF file for new orders, because the file will be saved in the envelope store.
Why does the new envelope store only include one manufacturer?
Posti wanted to simplify, enhance and harmonize the pre-paid envelope delivery and ordering system.
How can I continue sending Customer Direct items after Customer Direct is eliminated from the pricing service?
You can continue using Customer Direct, but you will need to use a mailing list subject to credentials to submit your orders. For more information, see adressed delivery.
If my company prefers to use a pricing service for mailing, what products will be available in the future?
The pricing service will continue to offer customers other letter services for mailing items.
The pricing of Customer Direct will change from item- and kg-based pricing to pricing according to weight threshold and batch size threshold. What does this mean?
In the changed pricing model, each item will only have one unit price which is based on item weight or batch size. The weight threshold allows increasing the weight of an item without increasing the price. Previously, even an increase of one gram in item weight increased the mailing price.
Teaser price includes Additional Handling. What does this mean?
Additional Handling is an additional service charged for batches containing less than 5,000 items and not unitized according to the instructions provided by Posti (http://www.posti.fi/liitteet-yrityksille/ohjeet/eralajittelu-kimputus-yksikointiopas.pdf) and the handling of which therefore requires additional work by Posti. The Additional Handling service will be included in Teaser prices after the pricing reform takes effect on 4 April 2016.
Will there be any new services at the turn of the year?
- Large standard letter C4 (max. 200 grams) to be added to standard letters
- Renewal of pre-paid envelope products
Will the product terms of letter services change January 1, 2016?
- The product terms for domestic and international letter services will be united
- We will add an individual paragraph on Posti's right to deviate from the service ordered by the customer (e.g. a large letter into a parcel).
- We will remove Home Direct from letter services product terms. Consequently, you find them in the product terms for Unaddressed delivery services
- ID-specific monthly usage fee will be added to Reply mail item service, as well as two delivery speeds with individual prices
- In future, Reply Mail Item (with the 00003 Reply Mail Item postal code) will be called Economy Reply Mail Item
- Volume Reply (with the 00006 Reply Mail Item postal code) will be changed into a Priority Reply Mail Item
Additional handling will be removed from domestic letters but retained in Customer Direct.
- Posti Insured item will be discontinued in the contract services. The transition period will last until the end of 2016. These will remain in cash services.
- Consignments will be discontinued January 1, 2016 without a transition period. They will be replaced with normal International Priority and Economy letters.
No, they will not, but the maximum thickness will be 3 cm because you do not need to pay for Additional handling service fee (the service will be removed).
- The same weight classes will be implemented in the franking machine for both domestic and international letters, discontinuing, for instance, the 1500-gram weight class.
- A new weight category will be adopted in value letters for light items 1–100
- The batch sizes of PS Priority and Economy letters will be updated, e.g. a new batch size of 10,000 pcs.
The payment indications of letters will not change.
Will there be changes to the size and weight limitations of shipments? Into force January 1, 2016
The 1,000-gram maximum weight of basic delivery publication services (Press Pro services and Press Basic) will change (currently 1.5 kg in Pro services and 2 kg in the Basic service). There have not been publication shipments weighing more than 1,000 g for several years, so this change will not effect our customers. (Any shipments weighing more than 1,000 g will be directed to Customer Direct or Letter). There will be no changes to other dimensions.
The maximum dimensions of Bundle Item 1 and Bundle Item 2 services are: maximum size 320 mm x 470 mm.
- The height of the bundle cannot exceed the length of its shorter side
- maximum weight 10 kg
How can we find a price for a publication supplement?
In the 2016 Publication price calculator on Posti's website, you can check whether the supplement affects the publication's delivery price by comparing the price of only the publication (with the normal unit weight of the publication) with the price of the publication with the supplement (with the combined weight of the publication and the supplement).
If you send a supplement containing a personal element with the publication (e.g. an invoice related to a subscription), please contact the Sales/Customer Service to receive information on pricing and instructions on shipment markings.
How will the use of the Sorting Service affect pricing?
The use of the Sorting Service will not affect pricing, but it will ensure good delivery quality.
How can I make sure that the service level of publication subscribers is equal?
By following the latest possible posting times and making sure the materials are prepared as comprehensibly as possible at the printing house in accordance with the instructions of Posti.
In local delivery services, all the publication recipients in the selected area achieve the same service level as the posting is carried out in the delivery area.
Will the providing of advance information to a publication with PTP remain?
Yes, it will. Advance information will be provided with a procedure modeled on the current one.
Will there be changes to the discounts related to issues?
Issue discount will continue to be granted for the Magazine and Newspaper services of Nationwide Publication Delivery and the Daytime and Long-distance services of Local Publication Delivery (current Press Pro services). à January 1, 2016
Starting from April 4, 2016, the level of issue discount for publications with at least 48 issues a year and using Magazine 2, Magazine 1, and Newspaper 2 services will change due to the simplified price structure. The changes will not particularly affect prices of these services.
As before, publications will be required to have at least 48 issues per year to qualify to use Local and Daytime delivery services. Local reach discount will be calculated by Posti. To get discount you will have to have at least minimum reach +31% / postcode. à January 1, 2016
Which services will be affected by the change and how will they change? January 1, 2016
Publication services in basic delivery:
- Press Pro 1 Magazine and Newspaper: price change, max. weight 1,000 g
- Press Pro 2 Magazine and Newspaper: price change, max. weight 1,000 g
- Press Pro Local: price change, max. weight 1,000 g
- Press Basic: Only delivery speed 02 available in the service. Delivery speed 01 will be discontinued. Price change. Max. weight 1,000 g
- Bundle Delivery 1 and Bundle Delivery 2: Name change Bundle Item 1 and Bundle Item 2 and price change
- Unaddressed: price change
- Even small Press Basic mailing batches (current Press Basic) cannot be left in Posti shops due to quality challenges. Mailing batches should be delivered to publication posting places (specified terminals and Postal centers can be found on the website)
Publications will have two basic options in accordance with customer need: Nationwide Publication Delivery or Local Publication Delivery. à April 4, 2016
- In the Nationwide Publication Delivery, it is possible to select a service that does not require advance order (Posti Publication 2, current Press Basic) and services available for advance order (Magazine 1, Magazine 2, and Newspaper 2, current Press Pro 1 and 2 services)
- The handling of two-day nationwide deliveries will take place only in Postal centers more frequently than before.
- The basic principles of services in Nationwide Publication Delivery (service specifications, features) will mostly remain the same. Posting schedules will have some earlier time slots due to the enhancing procedures of Posti's national network.
Bundle deliveries - January 1, 2016:
- Only the name and the price will change.
- The price model will remain as piece and kilogram pricing. In this service, weight class pricing will not be adopted, as the number of publications in the bundles varies by recipient, whereupon the mailing work of the mailer company would be inconvenienced. Each weight class requires an individual order line on the order.
- The names will change: Bundle Item 1 and Bundle Item 2.
Basic delivery - Basic delivery January 1, 2016:
- Only the Finnish name and the price will change.
- No other changes in this renewal.
Publication contract based delivery (Early-morning delivery) - January 1, 2016:
- The service selection of advertising and marketing items delivered in early-morning delivery will be simplified.
- Advertising and marketing items delivered with contract based deliveries, number of items will be reduced.
Will the payment indications change?
Yes, they will, as the new services are implemented in the spring of 2016 (markings are found on Posti's website).
Where can I have the new payment indications?
On Posti's website.
What will happen to shipments with the old payment indication? Will there be a transition
Shipments will be delivered in spite of incorrect indications. On a practical level, the indications of publication deliveries will change quickly as shipment indications are rarely printed on publication; the printing house systems print the indications instead. Posti will inform printing and mailing houses directly on the indication issues.
The old payment indications can be used until the end of 2016.
Are all services covered by the renewal?
At least the name is changed in all services.
In Nationwide Publication Delivery, all the delivery services will undergo changes.
How can I calculate an estimated price for my mailing batch beforehand?
You can calculate the price for the Press Basic and Press Pro 1 and 2 services with the new price calculators on http://www.posti.fi/yritysasiakkaat/posti-palvelee/tyokalut-ja-lomakkeet/laskurit/lehtilaskuri2016/
There is no price calculator for the Press Pro Local delivery service. Please be in touch with your contact person or our customer service.
The April 4 price calculators of the new Nationwide Publication Delivery services will be finished by mid-December.
Which changes will occur in Posti's order channels, PTP, and Contact?
Posti has renewed its order channels in the fall of 2015. We are already accepting delivery orders for 2016. Especially the order channel updates will be visible in the order of the Home Direct bundle delivery (delivered with Postinen) and Home Direct Premium delivery. The updated mailing instructions of Home Direct items can be found in http://www.posti.fi/liitteet-yrityksille/markkinointipalvelut/kotisuoran-postitusohjeet-asiakaskayttoon.pdf
The electronic mailing list will be updated in early 2016.
What changes will take place in the systems between Posti and my business, e.g. in Sorting Service and direct integrations?
The customer should change the changing and removed product codes in the interface between the business and Posti. Customers will be informed of the changes with a directed email on November 2015.
The new product and pricing structures will cause changes in the systems between businesses and Posti. Posti will aim to minimize the effects of the system changes on the customers.
Which changes will occur in Posti's transport services January 1, 2016?
- The price increases will be implemented in the services January 1, 2016
- There will be no service changes
Which updates will occur in Posti's transport services April 4, 2016?
- The total price level of existing customers will NOT change after the service renewal takes place April 4, 2016
- The new product terms will enter into force
- The new products and services will replace the current ones, changing at least the name
- Some previous products will become supplementary services, but their features will primarily stay the same
- Delivery times will be standardized and they will be supplementary services
- Domestic freight services will be available with both an address label and a CMR.
- The new Small Parcel which will be delivered to the mail slot/box of the recipient
- The new International parcel return service (ERS), no changes to other international services
- A new parcel and freight order channel will be adopted
- Clearer invoices
- The changes will be covered in detail in www.posti.fi and a customer bulletin in November 2015 and February 2016.
Posti parcel services
Why will the Economy parcel and the SmartPost parcel be combined into a new Postal Parcel?
From a customer's point of view, both delivery types have to be picked up, and the pickup place no longer defines the product. We wanted to offer our customers a clearer service for e-commerce deliveries, covering issues such as the pricing of the parcel.
Will the pricing method of the discontinued SmartPOST be changed?
Yes, it will. Posti is simplifying and standardizing its pricing, but the price level of the current SmartPOST customers will not be changed in the service renewal. The previous Economy and SmartPOST services will be combined into one Postal Parcel service.
Will the name SmartPOST still be used?
Not in Finland. The popular service has been called "Posti Parcel Point" by its users for a long time. The name SmartPOST will continue to be used in Estonia.
What should an online retailer do to their website when SmartPOST is discontinued?
Only one delivery method, "Pick-up from a postal outlet or Parcel Point", will remain in the shopping basket. The change will entail updates to the e-commerce platform of the customer and the query to Posti's pickup point register. The extent of the change entirely depends on the e-commerce platform selected by the contract customer. The changes are up to the customer and their selected e-commerce supplier. For more information, please visit: www.posti.fi/verkkokauppiaalle
How will the changes affect the delivery sizes of parcels?
The minimum and maximum measures of parcels will be standardized to meet the needs of online stores even better.
What is the Posti Small Parcel?
The Small Parcel is intended for shipped goods weighing less than 2 kg. It is delivered to the mail slot or box with the day mail.
What happens if the Small Parcel cannot be delivered to the mailbox or slot?
An SMS notice of arrival will be sent and the Small Parcel can be picked up from a Posti pickup point.
Will there be changes to the storage period for items to be picked up?
Yes, there will. The storage period for items to be picked up will change into a rolling period as of April 4, 2016, meaning that the items will be stored for exactly 14 days in postal outlets and 7 days in Parcel Points. After this, the item will be returned to the sender.
Will Customer Return be discontinued?
No, it will not. The previous Customer Return will be continued as Posti Return. A functioning customer return increases e-commerce and Posti still offers diverse solutions for managing returns. Customer returns can be made to the most extensive pickup point network in Finland, covering more than 1,400 Posti outlets and Parcel Points. In addition, if tracking is not needed in the return, the return can be made to about 7,000 mailboxes.
Will there be changes to the Franking machine and HIPA parcel selection?
The parcel selection will be standardized and the Franking machine and HIPA customers will mainly be offered the same services and supplementary services as contract customers. All supplementary services with a mandatory EDI message cannot be offered in these payment methods.
Posti freight services
Will there be any changes to domestic freight services April 4, 2016?
Yes, there will. In future, there will be two shipment methods for domestic freight: Express freight is a shipment with an address label and an identifying item ID, and the Freight will be transported with a CMR.
Will Freight be a trackable product in 2016?
Yes, it will. Express freight will be tracked by reading the bar code in the address label in Posti's shipment tracking. Freight tracking is carried out with the use of the bar code in the CMR.
Is Freight environmentally friendly, i.e. Posti Green?
Yes, it is.
What type of a transport document will be used in Posti Freight?
Either an address label or a CMR will be used in Posti Freight. Express freight uses an address label and Freight uses a CMR, so no changes will be made to the current practices.
Will there be changes to the supplementary services?
Yes, there will. In future, the service will consist of basic service and supplementary service. The same supplementary services that were previously only available for freight with a CMR will be optional for freight with an address label.
Will there be a maximum number for supplementary services selected by the customer per item?
Yes, there will. The maximum number of supplementary services and features with an address label will be 5. In the EDI message, the maximum number of supplementary services and features will be 7.
Extending the storage period is a new supplementary service. What does this mean?
The storage period for items to be picked up from Posti outlets and Parcel Points can be extended by the sender by seven (7) days. The new supplementary service will be applicable for items to be picked up from both Posti pickup points and Parcel Points.
How will Handing over without Signature of the Addressee, the new supplementary service, work without the recipient's signature?
The item will be left in the reported address and the recipient will not need to sign the item as received. If the customer has bought this supplementary service and the recipient announces that they have not received the item, the customer will be responsible.
What will replace the discontinued Registration supplementary service?
The Registration supplementary service will be replaced by the Handing over to the Addressee in Person supplementary service. The legal obligations of the registration procedure will be fulfilled when Posti will have a clarification of signature for all parcel products in the system.
Which service should I use when I want the parcel to be delivered to the recipient by morning?
The Express parcel + Morning delivery 09 supplementary service.
Which service should I use when I want the parcel to be delivered to the recipient by evening?
The Express parcel + Evening 21 supplementary service.
Which service should I use when I want the parcel to be delivered to the recipient on the next day?
The Express parcel + Same-Day 00 supplementary service, providing that the item is delivered for Posti to be transported before 11 a.m. that day. The service is only available in the largest cities.
How will the transport of dangerous goods be managed in future?
Posti will offer 3 methods of transporting dangerous goods:
- Transport of Dangerous Goods (TDG) supplementary service: goods with a class label that always carries the TDG appendix. It can be selected for the Express parcel and the Express freight. The use of the TDG supplementary service should be separately agreed upon with the safety advisor of Posti. The criteria and requirements will not be changed from the current policies.
- The LQ Transport supplementary service offers a limited service (=small quantities) for the safe and lawful delivery of packaged dangerous goods in accordance with the service area register of the Main product. Possible for Express parcels and freight and delivery speeds 00, 09, and 21.
- The LQ Process Permit supplementary service is intended for very small quantities of dangerous substances that can be picked up as a Postal Parcel from Posti outlets and Parcel Points.
What is Waste transport?
A new supplementary service that fulfills the requirements of the Waste Act for transports and the related documents and reporting. Primarily, a supplementary service for Freight.
Ordering a Posti parcel and freight
Why will Prinetti and SmartShip be discontinued?
Posti has two customer-used systems for ordering parcel and freight transports, sending advance information, and printing transport documents. We wish to make the everyday life of our customers smoother and will adopt one clear order channel. The new order channel will contain the freight and parcel services as well as trackable value letters.
Will the Customer order all parcel and freight services from the new order channel?
Yes, both the domestic and international parcel and freight services and value letters.